Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A bit broken but worth it in the end

Broken by C.J. Lyons

Rating: 3 out of 5 hearts
325 pages
Released: November 2013
Buy it @ book depository

WOULD YOU PUT YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE TO BE NORMAL?

Diagnosed with a rare and untreatable heart condition, Scarlet has come to terms with the fact that she’s going to die. Literally of a broken heart. It could be tomorrow, or it could be next year. But the clock is ticking…

All Scarlet asks is for a chance to attend high school—even if just for a week-a chance to be just like everyone else. But Scarlet can feel her heart beating out of control with each slammed locker and vicious taunt. Is this normal? Really? Yet there’s more going on than she knows. And finding out the truth might just kill Scarlet before her heart does…


Review


I didn't know much about this book, which is the way I like it. The less I know about it, the less I can judge. The problem with that is I don't usually give books I don't know much about a lot of time if I'm not enjoying them. I started off not liking this because I thought it seemed ridiculous that an extremely sick girl who almost died would get bullied for having her heart condition. That teachers and other students wouldn't stick up for her or even do anything for her. I don't like books about bullying so I think this another reason why I wasn't enjoying it. 

I also really despised the stepmother from the beginning, I thought she was weird and extremely uncool. As I read on though I soon realised why the author us (the readers) feel this way - very clever! I almost gave up because of all these things, there were only 7 CD's to listen to (which isn't very many in an audiobook) and I struggled through the first 4 CD's, then I read a few reviews online saying this is a thriller! I was thinking how could it be? I hadn't had any inkling that it was a thriller at all! I thought it was just a typical bullying/high school/sick girl story.

So I kept going and I'm glad I did because that was a pretty awesome ending! Initially this book was getting two stars, but it gets an extra star for the twist at the end. I'm glad I listened to this on audiobook instead of reading it because I would've been more likely to not finish as I have so many other books on my 'to read' list.

The last quarter really makes this book, and that is a shame because I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who may not give it that long. So a lot of people may miss this intriguing book. Hopefully you read my review before giving up!

On the cover


Another black cover with a striking image. Hearts are another thing I'm drawn to, I also really like the blue and red/pink color combo. 

What I'm listening to next: Reason to breathe by Rebecca Donovan



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...