Monday, March 11, 2013

Murder & Fire, good mix? I think yes...

FireProof (Maggie O'Dell #10) by Alex Kava

Rating: 4 out of 5 hearts
320 pages
Released: May 2012
Buy it @ book depository

When a building bursts into flames on a cold winter night in D.C., investigators see a resemblance to a string of recent fires in the area. There is one difference, however: This one has a human casualty. The local team insists they're looking for a young white male, suffering from an uncontrollable impulse to act out his anger or sexual aggression. But when special agent Maggie O'Dell is called in, everything she sees leads her to believe that this is the work of a calculating and controlled criminal.

Jeffery Cole, a reporter looking for his big break, is also at the scene of the crime and decides to make Maggie part of his news piece, digging up aspects of her past that she would rather forget. Maggie's brother Patrick is also back in DC where he is working for a private firefighting company and is frequently called in as these fires continue to light up around the city.

As the acts of arson become more brazen, Maggie's professional and personal worlds begin to collide dangerously. The killer may be closer than she imagines.

Review

I love the Maggie O'Dell series, I can't remember why I decided to pick them up and read them from the beginning. I think a patron of the library recommended them to me, so because I can't read a series from the middle I had to start from the beginning. 

Since then there have been some that I've really enjoyed reading and then there's been others that have been very so so. This one is one of the better ones. I know a lot of people are complaining that Maggie O'Dell hasn't done much profiling in this one, but I didn't think that was an issue because I found the story to be intriguing and I love the characters. Yes I do feel like the writing style has changed slightly and there isn't much profiling going on (seen as though O'Dell is an FBI profiler) but most book series change in some way and I will still be happy to continue to read them.

I can't remember the murders in the previous books but they were very gruesome and very detail in this one. If you don't like to read about that sort of thing then you shouldn't read this. I read this in a day, I found it (like the others) to be very easy to read as the writing style flows nicely and the reader is kept interested. Like for example; every now and again there will be a short chapter from the 'killers' point of view, I like that we get a taste of being inside their head but still not knowing who it is. I don't know if other murder mystery books are like this but I had never read something like that.

Something else to mention that I found interesting is that the ending felt like it will lead straight into the next book. From memory I don't think any of the previous books have done this. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

On the cover

The cover is quite boring but it depicts what you can expect from the book. I also find it interesting that the author's name is bigger than the title, I'm assuming the publishing company thinks you will pick up the book because of the author not because of the cover or even the title...

What I'm reading next: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...