Monday, February 18, 2013

The best books tend to hide behind unlikely covers

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1) by Alexandra Bracken

Rating: 4 out of 5 hearts
488 pages
Buy it @ book depository
Released: December 2012

"When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living."




Review 

 

“The darkest minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces”

I love this quote! It really jumped out to me as a perfect sum up for the whole book. The feelings I got while reading this were the same sort of feelings I got when I was reading Divergent.  I was thinking that this was like nothing I’ve read before, I love the idea behind the story.

Ruby is a great character, she is beautiful but doesn’t know it because she’s been locked up in a camp for children with special powers for about 6 six years. She's also very strong and loyal. I liked her almost straight away and wanted to know more about her. The other characters that Ruby befriends were also really likeable. They make a great mix of kids and I'd love to ride around with them in Black Beauty.

What I really liked most was the slow paced romance between Ruby and Liam. In my books I like the the story to be fast paced but I like my romance to be slow paced. I like it when the connection between the love interests slowly bubble into something truly swoonworthy. That's what I got with these characters. Their feelings for each other couldn't always be shown because of Ruby's special powers and what might happen if she touches someone.

The small thing that stopped it from getting to 5 stars was the why? Why do the kids have super powers? How does it only effect them and not the adults? Where did it come from? I hope some of these questions are answered in the next book but other than that very small issue I loved this!

Oh and I can not forget that ending! This is going to be really hard to have to wait til November to find out what happens next. Maybe I might read her first book Brightly Woven (which is not part of this series) before then.

On the cover

 

This cover is totally wicked and now I know what the symbol on the front cover means. It tells you a lot about what you're going to expect from this book, i'll give you a hint - dark and intriguing.

What I'm reading next: What's left of me by Kat Zhang


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...