Saturday, June 1, 2013

Embracing Angel books

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1) by Jessica Shirvington

Rating: 3 out of 5 hearts
382 pages
Released: October 2010
Buy it @ book depository

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before.

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…



Review 

I'm not a huge fan of angel books mainly because I hate how they sometimes push God & religion onto me but I didn't find that with this book. There were quotes at the beginning of every chapter and sometimes those chapters were from the bible but no matter where it was from it gave you a sense of what you are to expect from that chapter. 

The main reason I decided to read this was because it was recommended to me and I thought I'd get it on Audio and see what it was like. I was pleasantly surprised. The story wasn't all that bad, the only issue I have is when Violet 'embraces' her guardian angel duties. I'm so used to reading books that have an epic quest before the main character is awarded their 'prize', in this case it's Violet proving herself to become a guardian angel. Well Violet's quest felt easy and anticlimactic. A simple jump off a cliff and walk through a desert to become someone who will guide over the human race...hmm ok!

Now we come to the love interests, Phoenix & Lincoln (yes another love triangle). Phoenix is your stereotypical bad guy, an exiled angel with opal coloured hair... while Linc on the other hand is the nice guy. Violet has awesome chemistry with Lincoln and he is also VERY cute! I usually swoon over the nice guy, I'm always rooting for them because most of the time "nice guys finish last" and I hate that! But don't let that make you think that Lincoln finishes last because maybe he doesn't...(I'm giving nothing away!) Something that bugged me a lot was how easily Violet gave her virginity away (which I also won't tell you who to). It did become part of revealing something really important later on in the book but I simply didn't like, my opinion.

I feel like all I've done is complain but I did enjoy this. I liked the idea of someone being a guardian angel, the author did a good job at making the idea more believable and easier to digest than other angel books. I plan on reading the next one in the series on Audio, hopefully the story will get a bit better instead of getting worse. On a side note: I had no idea this was written by an Australian, I like it when I know it's written in Australia because it makes me get all patriotic and want to love it even more.


On the cover

I love this cover! I think it's the purple and the smoky wings, they are so cool! Although Violet never actually gets wings and neither do any of the angels.

What I'm listening on Audio to next: Finnikin of the rock by Melina Marchetta



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...